martes, 10 de septiembre de 2013

Written Task


Dear Diary,


             I thought I was going to be fine here at Lowood, but my high expectations went down as I started to know better this school. Going to study seemed to be the best escape from Gateshead. I hated John. He is the worst from the Reeds. Even though, if I had anywhere else to go, I should be glad to leave it; but I can never get away from Gateshead till I am a woman. It is a relief that, Miss Reed, as much as she dislikes me, for a reason I don't know, she thinks that I must be educated, so she sent me to Lowood School, far away from Gateshead. Maybe she hates me because how much Uncle Reed cared about me, compared with his own children.

             I didn't had to be one week, or even one day at Lowood to realize the conditions that it had. To start, the school is managed by Mr. Brocklehurst, who believes that low class girls in the school don't deserve good treatment. He is very cruel and hypocritical man. He steals from the school to pay his own luxurious lifestyle. Also, there isn't enough food at Lowood, they only give us a tin oaten cake shared into fragments, and if they give us something more abundant, it's a nauseous mess; burnt porridge is almost as bad as rotten potatoes; famine itself soon sickens over it. At Lowood, the only nice teacher, is my superintendent, Miss Temple. She gives me and all the other girls bread and cheese after all the horrors that Mr. Brocklehurst makes us pass. I have a good friend in Lowood too, her name is Helen, she is the one close person that helps me confront my emotional problems, the only problem is that there is a teacher named Miss Scatcherd who is very cruel with her.

             Mr. Brocklehurst did something terrible today, and as I said before, I can't escape Gateshead till I am a woman, because Miss Reed is the responsible of what happened today. Mr. Brocklehurst entered  the classroom where we were having classes. He was being very unpleasant, as always, with a girl with curly hair. I started getting worried because of Miss Reed false warnings, about me being a liar, that she gave to Mr. Brocklehurst. He did spend his time away from school since that day, so I did not had the chance to see him after he talked with Miss Reed. In that exact moment, when he came in the room, I accidently dropped my slate. Mr. Brocklehurst looked at me furious and then he said that I was careless, so he sent me in front of the whole school. I was scared and worried. He made me stand still in top of a chair for hours and he also made me tell everyone that I was a "LIAR". It was the biggest of the punishment that I've ever received for nothing, because I am not a liar.

             Here is when Helen appeared. She has always impressed me with her expansive knowledge and her ability to patiently endure even the meanest of Miss Scatcherd punishments. Just when I was feeling friendless and alone, she was the only person that joined me in my punishment giving me a piece of bread and talking to me for a while. After everyone gave me their back, Helen was there showing me why Mr. Brocklehurst was wrong. She said that it was because he is not well thought of by very many. Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from de heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education: they grow there, firm as weeds among stones.

              Miss Temple was the only teacher by my side. She was the only one trying to find out if I was really a liar. She has totally gain my loyalty and trust as she is took the time to care about the truth.


              A few days ago, Helen told me that she practices a doctrine of Christian endurance, which mean loving her enemies and accepting her privation. When she told me that, I strongly disagreed with that tolerance of injustice, but Helen didn't seem to care about my arguments. Maybe I should react like her when I see something unfair, but I can't resist to fight, because that's just who I am. 


             I have been thinking how challenging my stay at Lowood School is going to continue, because of the different individuals that threat my own believes of autonomy and equality. But I should be grateful of my close ones who helps me in my struggle,like Helen, or Miss Temple too. They have been by my side when everyone didn't and when I am forced to contend oppression and injustice. It is true that I won't be able to leave the emotions that Gateshead leaved me with till I am fully grown, cause my situation in this school is non different.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario